When you think of the foods that you eat, the saying that “you are what you eat” couldn’t be any more true. The foods that we put into our body are responsible for giving us energy, keeping us strong, and providing a healthy balance of bacteria. Although we often consider bacteria to have a negative connotation, there is certainly such a thing as healthy bacteria. For our bodies, it’s this healthy bacteria that keeps us functioning properly and aids in everything from digestion to our vitality. Therefore if our gut health is comprised, this can cause serious effects to our health. Along with taking a daily probiotic, there are particular foods we can eat to promote the growth of healthy bacteria and allow it to flourish inside our microbiome–which is our body’s intricate ecosystem.
Here is a list of foods that will ensure that your gut stays happy and healthy:
Prebiotic foods: If you think of probiotics as keeping your gut healthy, then prebiotic foods are what these organisms thrive off of.
- Burdock root
- Cereal grains (whole wheat, barley, rye)
- Chicory root
- Greens (especially dandelion greens)
- Jerusalem artichoke
Probiotic foods: While it’s possible to get all that you need through your Essential Flora-7, you can supercharge those results by eating probiotic foods.
- Fermented vegetables (kimchi, sauerkraut, carrots, green beans, beets, lacto-fermented pickles, traditional cured Greek olives)
- Fermented soybeans (miso, natto, tempeh)
- Cultured dairy products (buttermilk, yogurt, kefir, cheese)
- Cultured nondairy products (yogurts and kefirs made from organic soy, coconut, etc.)
- Fermented grains and beans (lacto-fermented lentils, chickpea, miso, etc.)
- Fermented beverages (kefirs and kombuchas)
- Fermented condiments (raw apple cider vinegar)